San Choy Bau Asian Stir-Fry Recipe
San Choy Bauo or – Chinese Lettuce Wraps made with pork or chicken, loads of hidden texture and crunchy vegetables in a tasty savoury brown sauce, bundled up in fresh lettuce leaves to serve as bowls. This quick and easy recipe is incredibly versatile (great to make vegetarian) and an seriously healthy dish that can be added into your weekly meal prep.
The best part about this dish is that it can be made with any combination of ingredients, beef, chicken, pork, fish. There are plenty of combinations for vegetarians as well so get creative ! Fresh vegetables, rice and any combination of meat help you easily track macros to the way you like. Use high-smoke point oils such as peanut oil and try using lean protein sources such as lean chicken breat or beef mince. Using salt reduced soy sauce and oyster sauce help keep sodium levels low.
Another great thing about this recipe is it can be made to suit all tastebuds, whihc means for all you lovers of spice, you can go nuts on the chilli. Check out the recipe below, and if you love it, let us know by leaving a comment.
• 3 tablespoons peanut oil
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2cm piece ginger, finely grated
• 500g lean chicken or pork mince
•10 large lettuce leaves
• 1 carrot thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon salt reduced soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
• 3 shallots, thinly sliced
• 3 Birdseye chillis chopped
• 1/2 lime, juiced
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• Optional 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts + extra chilli to decorate.
- Heat wok over high heat until hot. Add peanut oil and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger, carrot and chicken mince. Stir-fry on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is just cooked.
- Add soy sauce and oyster. Add onions, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, chilli and sesame oil to wok. Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with extra chilli and peanuts, if using. Enjoy :)